Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Ryder No. 111 Model 40 new member question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judgebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Ryder No. 111 Model 40 new member question
    Posted: March-23-2024 at 7:46pm
I just joined the forum, and this is my first post. I have a Daisy Red Ryder carbine BB gun/air rifle, No. 111, Model 40, with the Fred Harman signature by the logo on the stock. The stock is wood, and I think the lever is cast iron. I know there are aluminum levers, but this feels cast iron to me. The piece on the barrel has a 2" crack, and it appears to be plastic.

I am wanting to post it for sale on eBay, but I an totally ignorant about Red Ryders and their values. From what I have read this is a 1940s-early 1950s BB gun.

I would appreciate any advise on how to sell and approximate price range.
Oldgeorge View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2024 at 1:10am
Welcome aboard judgebuck I have paid as little $20.00 and have scene some go for $150. It all depends on the shape of the gun and what someone's willing to pay. Look on eBay and it'll give you a good idea just type in daisy 111-40 on eBay and you'll see good luck oldGeorge
RAH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2024 at 9:19pm
If it has a cast iron lever it’s likely a 1940 first variant. Other identifiers for the 1940 are copper plated barrel bands, adjustable rear sight and the front barrel band is peened rather than spot welded. I’d estimate value between $75 and $250 depending on condition. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 4:29am
I guess I'll weigh in on this one as well.

If you have a plastic forearm and a wood stock, it could be a transitional gun. By transitional, that refers to guns that were made right before Daisy went to all plastic furniture. These guns were made late 1950- 1951. They did not come with a CI lever originally. Use a magnet to dispel any doubt as to what it's made of. They had a non adjustable rear sight and were blued steel. There was no forearm band used.

I'm thinking there will be other guesses on this one. What say you, Russ?
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 8:03am
Mark, let me put in my three cents worth. (Inflation pricing)
Sometimes people may mess with a gun to make repairs or just keep a gun working. I, the master messer, have done such things and always alert others of the mods. That's not to say that a particular gun owner may do the same. Cast iron lever vs aluminum alloy, wood forearm vs plastic, adjustable rear sight vs stationary, etc. To some an old gun is anything that works.
On the other hand, I've seen guns that Daisy let into the market with confused parts. If you want to sell your gun for the highest price, be sure you can back up it's condition and originality. Otherwise, you may have to settle for the highest offer......or just keep the nice old gun. 😉
Russ
Air-It-Is
judgebuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judgebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2024 at 8:46pm
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm thinking it must be a transitional from the 1950-1951 period, based on the comments to my first post.

Wood stock, plastic forearm, aluminum lever (I used a magnet to check it, as suggested), no copper band, no adjustable sight.

My wife's dad had this gun originally, and he was born in 1938. So, he would have been 12 or 13. He passed it on to her years ago (back in the 1960s), and we are downsizing and want to sell it (and a lot of other stuff accumulated over the years).

Many thanks for the help. I'm sure you guys get a lot of posts like mine. Any other thoughts are welcome.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2024 at 4:19am
For the relative pittance this gun will bring, I'd suggest making a spot for it- even it it's at the back of a closet. Add a note with its provenance. One day in the future, a yet-to-be-born family member could find it and be overjoyed. Just a thought.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2024 at 8:48am
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

For the relative pittance this gun will bring, I'd suggest making a spot for it- even it it's at the back of a closet. Add a note with its provenance. One day in the future, a yet-to-be-born family member could find it and be overjoyed. Just a thought.

I totally agree.
Russ
Air-It-Is
judgebuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judgebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2024 at 9:00am
I ran this thought by my wife (the gun is hers), and she agreed. We will keep the gun. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas!
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2024 at 5:44pm
I have to agree. Worth more for the memories. Call it a love rifle for it will always bring back the love she had for her Dad and those fond memories
Stevec
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic