Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Ryder - weak shooter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Ryder - weak shooter
    Posted: February-07-2014 at 10:32am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Hi,

This past weekend, I purchased 4 Daisy guns at a local flea market; See attached photo.

1/....A very nice model B - 500 shot, with almost all of it's original nickle finish and all of the 'internals' and a very strong shooter, for $25, but it has no stock! If I can not find an original stock, which I probably will not, I intend to make one out of Walnut. I believe this gun is about 100 years old.

2/....A Red Ryder from about the late 1940's, early 50's, in very nice original but average condition, with all the original parts, including the leather thong and nice wood stocks. This gun was only $10! The gun was a weak shooter. The leather seal was a little 'mis-shaped' so I made a new one for it. The trouble is, it is only slighty improved. It still is a little weak even though the spring is very lively and noticeably very strong. All of the other parts are normal. Any suggestions on how to make it shoot a little harder? I tried the 'oil down the barrel overnight' trick, without much improvement. What am I missing?

3/....A very nice condition model 98 Eagle for $20. All original, with the sling, light golden plastic stock, and retaining about 98% original paint. This gun shoots straight and strong with no 'issues'.

4/....A decent model 95 'Sporter' with 95%-98% original paint remaining. This gun cost $15. It is a weak shooter with a large dent just in front of the rear sight. This gun also has the original 'Daisy Important Notice' label on the stock! This label mentions the literature enclosed in the box.

The gun that I would like help with is number 2, the weak shooting Red Ryder. Everything seems OK, including the entire plunger assembly, but I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Regards, gkenny. 
PappyWagner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappyWagner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 12:07pm
Wow ! I wish I had flea market finds like those ! Nice scores !
I would love to get some better pictures of the sling you have for that gun.
As far as performance have you scrubbed out the actual barrel of the gun to remove possible rust deposits ?
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 1:10pm
I would first check the shot tube, make sure it is clean & shinny.  You said that you had replaced the leather seal.  Did the barrel seal come out when you removed the plunger assembly?  Did you replace both the leather seal on the plunger head & the leather barrel seal?  What size did you make the leather seals?  Did you check the air tube to make sure it is free of deposits & clean?   
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 2:10pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Thank you very much for your quick and helpful response, 39hunter, I really appreciate it!

The shot tube is fairly clean, not rusty or damaged.

The barrel seal did not come out when I removed the plunger assembly. I did remove it later and although it has a break in it, it seemed tight, so I put it back 'as is' and did not replace it. I was under the impression that all the barrel seal did was cushion the plunger, it looks like I may be wrong.

The plunger seal was made 21 mm, [13/16], in diameter, the size I have made them before without any trouble, even though I am no expert, and have only made about 4 of them in my life.

I put a pipe cleaner through the air tube, and it was clear, although the end was a little rough. I cleaned it up just a little with old-what's-her-name's nail file.

What do you think is my problem?

Thank you and regards, gkenny.

gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 2:28pm
Thank you PappyWagner. Yes, I was very happy with that purchase, especially the model B.

The leather sling is approximately 13/16 or 7/8 wide and approximately 60 inches in total length. See attached photo.

The leather has no markings on it that I can see, and it is somewhat dry rotted in spots with two small pieces broken through.

I did not scrub out the inside of the barrel or the shot tube.

Do you think that is my problem?

Thank you and regards, gkenny.

stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 4:02pm
Sounds like you have done everything right.Check the shot tube and make sure it is straight.If you can try it with another shot tube.I worked on a rifle awhile back and the shot tube had a slight bend in it.Put in another shot tube and it worked fine.Did you make sure you got all the excess oil out.Sometimes to much oil will take away the power till you shoot it a couple of times to get all the oil out
stevec
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 5:06pm
If all else fails.  I have had some success when I cut & used a 7/8 inch leather seal instead of the 13/16 inch size.  The thickness of the leather was approximately 3/16 inch thick.  I soaked it in 20 weight oil before I installed.  Now it will be a little larger than the barrel so you will need to flatten it down & turn it into the barrel.  Also the barrel seal actually does cushion the plunger assembly & seals the end of the air chamber.  Watch the size of the hole you punch for the air tube to go through the barrel seal, it should allow the air tube to travel freely through but still be snug.  
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 5:50pm
Something easy to try first, put some 30 wt non detergent oil in the gun and let it soak in, setting muzzle side down for a day.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 11:39pm
Hi Steve,

Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the advice, I will try your excellent suggestions tomorrow.

Regards, gkenny.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 11:41pm
Thank you FREEBIRD, I did put a lot of oil down the shot tube, and let it stand overnight muzzel up.

I will try it reversed tomorrow.

Regards, gkenny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic