Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Ryder - weak shooter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 11:45pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Thanks for the great tips, 39hunter.

I think I will have to replace the barrel seal, and maybe the plunger seal as well.

Thanks again, gkenny.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2014 at 12:40pm
That was a very good day at the flea market! Seems like all the venders around me know that old bb guns are worth money. Some of these guys assume because a rusty, bent, and broken bb gun is old, it must be worth $100. Most of my nice finds are at yard sales and house clean outs. Can't wait to see what magic you work on the Model 40.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2014 at 6:18pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Thanks the fuse, I was fortunate to catch the flea market just right.

What is your opinion of the model B?

It appears to have a lot more original nickle finish than many that I have seen photos of. It shoots really nice and hard and has everything but the stock. I have to think that because of the scarcity of this model, I will probably have to make the stock myself. I will use my own Walnut trees for this and keep it until I finally find a nice original.

Regards, gkenny.
Tbird View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2014 at 9:24am
man did you get some great deals!!!
for the stock of the model B you can try and call Dennis Baker (937) 935-4887 (he may have one, not sure though. He owns a BB gun repair shop)
The model 40-111 I would say if you replace both seals (barrel seal and plunger seal then it should work. The hole in the barrel seal for the air tube should be slightly snug to prevent air escaping from around the air tube. also soak them both in 30 weight motor oil before you install them)
Let us all know if you get the guns working and congrats on the great finds!!
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2014 at 12:55pm
Thank you Tbird, I was very fortunate on those purchases.

I did call Dennis and he thinks he has one but isn't sure it will fit. He beleives that most of the early Daisy guns have just enough hand work on them to sometimes not be totally interchangeable. he will check and get back to me. If he does have one, it may not be a condition match to my model B, and he wants at least $50 to $75 for it.

If all else fails, I will make one myself and keep it until I run across one.

I did go back and make another barrel seal and although it is not real tight against the air tube, it does fit with a slight contact with the air tube. I also made another plunger seal, and made it just a little larger than the first one. It required a little force to get them both in position. I also brushed out the inside of the barrel and shot tube.

When everything was back in place, I tried it and there seems to be no improvement, even though the spring feels nice and tight when cocking the lever.

I placed about 25 drops of 30 weight non-detergent oil down the barrel and will let it stand over night.

Thanks again for all of your help. I will report the results of the oil.

Regards, gkenny.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2014 at 6:23pm
Have you looked carefully to check if there is anything that may be impeding the airflow? 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 8:54am
Hi, the fuze,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, there seems to be no blockage at all and the spring does not feel at all weak because it is tight when cocked and was a little tighter than most when compressed. I replaced both seals and they are nice and tight.

It is well oiled and still shoots a little softer than it should.

I placed about 20 drops of 30 wt. non-detergent into the shot tube last night, I will check to see if that makes a difference tonight.

By the way, what do you think of the model B finish?

Regards, gkenny.
dennissch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennissch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:32am
shoot me a email later I think I have a stock for your model b I would say a model b stock is a model b stock no difference in them I have several water guns that are marked 1000 shot an have a 500 shot stocks in them made that way so you could even put a thousand shot stock on a 500 shot now the stocks are different on them the 1000 is longer an some have metal but plates 500 shot is shorter with no butt plate ever dennis bbgunking1@yahoo.com
Tbird View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:40am
From the pictures the Model "B" finish actually looks pretty nice.
I figured Dennis may have had one because I just bought a Model "B" off of him and he had some extra ones with stocks on them. Didn't know what he was asking for them though.

If you run out of idea's for the Model 40-111 I would take the seals back out and soak them in the oil for a bit and then reinstall them. If they are not oiled good enough they will drag against the inner walls of the gun and reduce the speed of the BB. I had to do this after I replaced the leather seals in one of my guns.
If the spring is good and nothing is wrong with the airtube and shot tube, then there is really nothing left other then the seals.

Keep us updated!!
davidh5000 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidh5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 1:51pm
The Bennett models may have enough hand work on them, to not interchange, and possibly even the De Moulin water guns I own, But I don't think a model B would be hand fitted enough to matter.
I'm not buying anymore BB Guns.

I'm not buying any less either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic