Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

repairing 499

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrettcarver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repairing 499
    Posted: November-22-2020 at 10:24am
I have 5 Match Grade Avanti Champion 499 Official Shooting Education BB Guns by Daisy. I work with a non-profit ministry and we use these to shoot with kids. They were gifted to us a few years back. They have many years of use.  is there any difference in these and a regular 499?

Recently, I found two of them have, in the minimum, broken muzzle plugs. 

I plan to pull them apart and see if there is any further damage to the Shot Tube. While I am doing that i figured I would look through the guns and assess them. Are there any key things/common problems that i should be looking for? videos would be a bonus!

New to the world of BB Gun repair(but i am mechanically inclined). I have been researching them for a couple of days so my terms may be wrong. any pointers would be appreciated!

i have been looking at these as resources. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 7:57pm
That's great you are helping those kids like you are- kudos!!

Here's a Powerpoint of dis- and re-assembling the 499B: https://georgia4h.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Daisy-499B-Take-Down_small.ppt

The abutment seal rarely gives any trouble. The piston can wear, though. Especially if the gun is run dryer than usual. But the seals are made of a hard, nylon-like plastic thet hold up well, so they may be fine. The spring can be replaced, but these are 5 meter target guns, so a couple fps one way or the other is less important than a soft shooting cycle, as far as accuracy goes. If they are in the 235-245 fps area, they're fine.

The shot tube is unscrewed and removed out the muzzle end, and the gun does not need to be disassembled to change the shot tube. The muzzle 'funnel' is held onto the steel tube by a collet- loosen the large nut and twist/pull the funnel to overcome the knurling and it'll pop off. You can adjust the funnel to contact the barrel shroud just before the shot tube threads bottom out to hold the shot tube securely in place.

An oily shot tube is the worst thing for accuracy, so be generous with swabbibg out the shot tube. I use a .177 felt mop on a cleaning rod dampened with denatured alky followed by dry patches, 91% isopropyl will do. 

Hope this helps and good luck!

Mark
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2020 at 11:47am
I'm a little concerned about the broken muzzle.   It could be a sign that someone tried to "unload" the gun by beating it on a hard surface or maybe something was stuck in the shot tube.   Either way, it's a good idea to check how straight the shot tube is.   499s are an accurate target gun.   Sure be a shame if those shot tubes are bent.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic