Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resealing a 1936 Model 25 Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resealing a 1936 Model 25 Pump
    Posted: August-19-2020 at 5:20pm
Unfortunately, I decided to learn how to put new seals in a Daisy Model 25 (1936) that has leather seals which are toast.  I have never done this before!  To my chagrin, I found that the leather seal on the air tube is some type of one piece deal that appears to me only the manufacturer had some type of machine to put it together.  If a new leather seal can be put on, I am at a loss how it could be done.  I had made a copy of Cobalt's post on how to convert the leather seals to synthetic.  I called Daisy and they informed me they did not have the Barrel seal #130126-100 and quit selling the Plunger Pin #132938-000 and something she referred to as a "rail nut".  I then called an airgun repair place in Ohio who informed me they did not have a seal kit for my year Daisy.  I am less than a novice at this repair and could certainly use some input from our more knowledgeable members.  HELP!

Wacko     
Steve
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 6:22pm
Hello Iceman/ Try a search here for "leather reseal" and scroll down to resealing a No 25 and see if that information helps. Or try this link:

Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 8:21pm
Thank you Jay!  This answered my questions.  When I looked at the air tube piece, I did not realize that the it was a washer that was stuck (quite well) onto the tapered  shaft.  I could not figure out how in the world one would put a leather seal onto this air tube.  I have since removed the washer and it makes perfect sense.  One more question.  I may have missed this in the posts, but where would one be able to purchase the leather seals?  You may say just make them, but keep in mind I am not exactly a DYI kind of guy.  Thanks so much for all the information and assistance.

Star  
Steve
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 9:01pm
Glad to help. These replaceable leather seals are sold as pairs. I see them on eBay usually for about $10. Click this site to see these seals:
Somebody on this forum might sell them as well. Good luck
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 9:20am
Thank so much Jay!  I ordered a couple of sets this morning.  I certainly appreciate your help.  In fact, I really appreciate all those members on this site that share their knowledge and are willing to take their time to post info and pics on this site to help others in this wonderful hobby.  A special kudo to Cobalt who is amazing and always impressive with his knowledge of these airguns.  Thanks!!!!!

Star
Steve
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 12:32pm
I appreciate the call-out, Steve. I'm in the process of revising the thread on converting leather seals to rubber. It's less of an issue with the early Red Ryders and similar guns, but on the No.25 pump guns with leather seals, the air tubes were uber long. I don't know of a good workaround yet, but as soon as I can come up with anything, I'll post it.

I also want to give a ton of kudos to Jay Gumslinger for uncovering and detailing the complexities of these seemingly "simple" Daisy BB guns. When he gets his teeth into a question, look out!!

Mark
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 11:41pm
Not to leave anybody out of this cause everyone seems to share some really good information with all of us, but Jay and Mark have incredible information they share,  the pics and time they spend detailing all that stuff is awesome...   Thanks to all..   Rick
Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2020 at 10:25am
You make a very good point, Rick. I can honestly say there's not a regular member here, you included,  that I have not learned things from. This is a heck of a knowledgeable community, for sure!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2020 at 12:04pm
Ditto for the wealth of information here. My only situation is I have to pinball all around to stitch the threads together. You know, a tip here, a great idea there, a been-there-done that, here-is-how-its done type of journey. All relating to the same thing, but posted under different topics. But, Lordy, it sure has helped! 
So in that vein I am going to jump to  another thread currently running and post all the compiled info I found (just  in this forum) regarding that Daisy 'bolts' topic. There is probably more I've missed. What I would like is an old fashioned, library card-catalog arrangement (remember those)?Approve 
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 9:22pm
I agree with Jay on the pinballing around for information.  I think that is the case with all fora like this on specific topics or collectibles.  For me, it can be like a detective in search of clues.  

When I find information, I copy it and paste it into a Word document.  That way, I can arrange the information by topic, model #, or any other way and I have developed my own history / information / repair tips "manual."

Thanks to all here who have given so much great information for me to plagiarize!   
Be Prepared
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic