Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RR Trigger Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RR Trigger Safety
    Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:00pm
I'm sure this was covered at some point in the past , but does anyone know when the Red Ryder acquired a trigger safety? I may have come across a "Frankenrifle". It's a 1938B Rogers gun, horizontal staple holes like an older model. New loading port configuration and a modern trigger assembly with safety. The saddle ring staple is missing (assume the new trigger won't work with it installed) and the stock has the Red Ryder logo on the left side. Any thoughts?
Air-It-Is
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:53pm
Russ, the first Red Ryder trigger safety was on the Model 1938A and 1938B in 1979.
Pat
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 5:00pm
Thanks Pat. I'm thinking this one is a "reconstruct" but I'm going to have to do some investigating. I don't have it. I saw it in a shop near me. I guess I'll revisit it soon.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

I'm sure this was covered at some point in the past , but does anyone know when the Red Ryder acquired a trigger safety? I may have come across a "Frankenrifle". It's a 1938B Rogers gun, horizontal staple holes like an older model. New loading port configuration and a modern trigger assembly with safety. The saddle ring staple is missing (assume the new trigger won't work with it installed) and the stock has the Red Ryder logo on the left side. Any thoughts?
You have a non anti bear trap 1938B. They were all made w/o the anti BT from 2001-back to the beginning. When they got the anti BT, the staple went to vertical. The BT equipped trigger will not physically fit into the older guns w/o modifying the trigger.There's more to it to make it fit than just removing the toothed steel rack- there are molded protrusions on the sides of the trigger module that have to be removed, too. But it can be done.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 8:21pm
[/QUOTE]You have a non anti bear trap 1938B. They were all made w/o the anti BT from 2001-back to the beginning. When they got the anti BT, the staple went to vertical. The BT equipped trigger will not physically fit into the older guns w/o modifying the trigger.There's more to it to make it fit than just removing the toothed steel rack- there are molded protrusions on the sides of the trigger module that have to be removed, too. But it can be done.[/QUOTE]

I did not have the opportunity to check it (yet) for the anti-beartrap feature. I suspect you are correct. I'm going to try to get the serial number, next week, to narrow down the year. I know that left sided logo was only made for limited years also. There are obvious signs that this one has been taken apart. I figure it's either a survivor or a "let's put together what we have and make it work" gun.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 3:42am
Well, if it has a LH logo, the stock isn't original. The last LH logo RR stock was used back around 1975 on the No. 1938 RR Carbine when it was being phased out for the RH logo.

But the horizontal staple is all you need to see to know it's sans anti BT. Thumbs Up
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 7:19am
Yinz guys are great, once again.   Here's what I'll base my query on:

Trigger safety, 1979 and forward.
No anti-beartrap 2001 and before.
LH logo. 1975 and before.
    And we all know,
Rogers stamping. 1958 and forward.

The screws and nuts are also suspect so I'm going to give it a decent look. Thanks again! 🙂
Air-It-Is
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 9:48am
Mark sure knows his stuff !

Ejwills.
Ejwills
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Yinz guys are great, once again.   Here's what I'll base my query on:

Trigger safety, 1979 and forward.
No anti-beartrap 2001 and before.
LH logo. 1975 and before.
    And we all know,
Rogers stamping. 1958 and forward.

The screws and nuts are also suspect so I'm going to give it a decent look. Thanks again! 🙂
Sounds right to me.

As far as I know, the "A" guns used the same basic hardware setup as the earlier guns, except the screws were phillips head instead of slotted: internal star lock washers under the trigger and lever screw heads but not under the stock screw head. Nuts were used on the lever and stock screws but not the trigger screw.

When, or shortly after, they became the "B" guns, they went to no lock washers anywhere, instead, the screw under-heads were serrated. And nuts began to be used on all the through screws. That is still how they are today. 

Originally posted by oldwizzer oldwizzer wrote:

Mark sure knows his stuff !

Ejwills.
I appreciate that. I really do. I learn new things almost every day. For me that's the enjoyment.
Ford57 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 10:01am
"anti-beartrap 2001 and before."
I'm getting forgetful. Would someone please explain What an anti bear trap is.
Thank You Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic