Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Scope'/shroud you don't see every day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 12:18pm
I thought it would be fun to reach out to the museum regarding this, and this is the reply I received. I'm copying their reply here with permission, and thank you Daisy Museum Staff!  I'll try later to post the picture they sent. 

In the early 1970 a series of wood guns were made and among them was the 846. 

The shroud itself is off of a model 846 toy gun made in the early 1970s.  The scope is a #301  toy gun scope with no glass for magnification - but it should have an eyepiece.

I've attached a catalog page scan from a 1974 catalog.  Take a look at the model 846 Training rifle (toy gun).  That is the shroud that is shown with the scope attached in Daisy Talk / on ebay.  There was not a production shroud made with a scope mount.

There are two options regarding how this piece came to exist - and they are really the same.  It's possible that a shroud was pulled before it was painted and the scope mount  was spot welded to it by a Daisy employee as a speculative new product idea.  No doubt it was rejected either due to cost or because it would have required larger packaging and therefore more retail space. This gun was never produced with the scope/mount.

It's also possible that any other individual might have created the piece for the same reasons. 

We hope this information is helpful.  The Daisy Museum

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 6:17pm
Too cool. A true skunkwerks type deal here, unique to the hilt.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:14pm
Thanks for the information.
A unique piece indeed.
Gary
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 7:52am
I finally got the picture they provided loaded.  The gun in question is the lower left one.  I couldn't find any other pictures of that one anywhere!  

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 5:24pm
Veering off the subject a little, I have the scabbard for the 1968 Trail Scout on the upper right photo. No belt/strap. just the scabbard. Until now I didn't know what it was for. Thanks for posting the pix.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic