Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sring break barrle pellet gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM422 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2006 at 1:35am

Well oppossums are very nasty and tough critters. If you compare an oppossum to a coon you could kill a coon with the back of your hand compared to an oppossum. But 1000fps would be more than enough for an oppossum. Using pointed pellets you should knock it over 1 shot from 20 yards. They are tough but they ain't that tough. .177 is best for hunting because it has more penetration. .22 is ok it has more hitting power but you can't take out animals from as far with .22 as you can with .177. You have to remember though it takes about 200fps more in .177 to equal the hitting power of a .22. So for example if your .22 is doing 500fps for the .177 to equal up to the hitting power of the .22 it has to travel at 690-700fps. but in the long run it is better. I used to only hunt with .22 cal air rifles until I discovered the high power .177 air rifles. Now my .22 cal air rifles sit in the corner and I only target shoot with them.

One Shot, One Kill
Ryansgotagun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryansgotagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2007 at 1:53pm
well I don't know what was up with this one, maybe it was hopped up on something, I just don't get it.  I have taken down so many critters, big and small and this one just would not go down.  I know for a fact I scored 6 or 7 direct head shots from a distance of 15 to 20yards, I saw the blood pouring from his head, I mean he bled all over the place I could actually follow a blood trail to the sewer pipe he went in to die.  One tough oppossum.  I don't have hollow points, but I was using cheaper match pellets thinking that they would expend their energy better than the pointed pellets I was using with that gun until about one month ago.  I need the hollow points bad, their pricey though.
pinball-1 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2007 at 4:46pm
hollow points dont do crap. From the tests I have done they expand the same or less then a pointed pellet on impact (same gun, same velocity, same target). Waste of money if you ask me, same with those 24K gold gamo pellets. maybe a softer target will make them expand more I dont know.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 1:22pm

Somewhere on the net are some photographs of the Gamo Raptor pellets shot side-by-side into parafim wax next to Crosman Premiers. Penetration was almost exactly the same.

On the other hand, I have seen the difference in what gamo hunter pellets can do compared to Crosman Supper Field Tip pellets when shot at a plate of galvonized sheet metal. The gamo hunters practly weld themselves to the sheet metal, while the crosman ammo flattens and drops. (shots taken at 30 meters).

Ryansgotagun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryansgotagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 1:25am

pinball is probably right about the pellets performance being the same, how about this, from experience is there any one pellet that seems to perform well on small game no matter what the distance or speed of projectile?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 10:35am

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/PelletTest02.html

Interesting link on pelet performance

Bent Barrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bent Barrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 2:01pm

Originally posted by pinball-1 pinball-1 wrote:

hollow points dont do crap. From the tests I have done they expand the same or less then a pointed pellet on impact (same gun, same velocity, same target). Waste of money if you ask me, same with those 24K gold gamo pellets. maybe a softer target will make them expand more I dont know.

I agree with you on the hollow point comment but i do disagree with you on the new PBA alloy that Gamo is using to produce their Raptor pellets.  I have used many different kinds of pellets in my 1000s model Daisy and by far the Raptor is superior over conventional lead pellets. Being a lighter and somewhat harder alloy, you get better penetration for head shots ( less expansion means more penetration on harder medium such as bone ) with greater muzzle velocity. As with most lightweight small caliber projectiles, velocity bleeds off fast and penetration is reduced at longer ranges especially with flat nose and hollow point pellets. Raptors having pointed business end gives better downrange velocity. After some tests ran on gypsum wallboard medium, I use Gamo Raptors only in my 1000s and have claimed superior one shot kills ( head ) on bushytails, bobcat, raccoons, opossum, and rabbits. As with most brands of air guns i have have fired that has had lead pellets ran through them, Raptors grouping does suffer. After a few passes of JB bore cleaner and a bore mop, i have manged to get them to tighten up their groups ( the bore compound is getting the built up lead from conventional lead pellets from the bore). I am currently getting under 1" groups at 30 yards with raptors with no build up. Yes the Raptors are pricey but the cost is offset by the performance.

What I used to do all day now takes me all day to do.
american eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote american eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 6:14am
i have a .177 caliber pellet gun but my spring broke.....do u know where i could get 1?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic