Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targeteer patent and my "new" 177

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Targeteer patent and my "new" 177
    Posted: September-11-2019 at 12:07am
I just received a nice little 177 Target Special, it has a sort of grayish metallic finish and an "OIL HERE" hole indicating it has rubber seals. It's shooting steel BBs about 120 fps so is probably doing about par for the course. I was going to reseal it anyway but found that to take it apart will require removing the head of a rivet ("M" on drawing and in text) that runs through the frame and holds the slide on the gun. I'm probably going to leave it alone because it looks like it would be VERY easy to damage the finish- and the finish is very good on this gun. The grips only have a little warpage, less than what I've seen on many others. And it has a "flip sight" sort of like  the one used on some No. 25s.

Anyway, while researching the gun I ran across the 188 Targeteer patent from the 1930s, granted to the Daisy airgun genius, Charles "Fred" Lefever. It shows the 188 in detail as well as describes the inner workings in detail. The patent text is here: https://patents.google.com/patent/US2132173?oq=air+gun+patent:2132173+intitle:air+intitle:gun+ininventor:Lefever

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 2:22am
I read the 177 was only made in Plymouth (like mine) for a brief time, from 1957 until they stopped production to move to Rogers AR. sometime in early 1958. Model 177 production continued at Rogers until 1978.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 9:06am
[QUOTE=cobalt327] I just received a nice little 177 Target Special, it has a sort of grayish metallic finish and an "OIL HERE" hole indicating it has rubber seals. It's shooting steel BBs about 120 fps so is probably doing about par for the course. I was going to reseal it anyway but found that to take it apart will require removing the head of a rivet ("M" on drawing and in text) that runs through the frame and holds the slide on the gun. I'm probably going to leave it alone because it looks like it would be VERY easy to damage the finish- and the finish is very good on this gun. The grips only have a little warpage, less than what I've seen on many others. And it has a "flip sight" sort of like  the one used on some No. 25s.

Anyway, while researching the gun I ran across the 188 Targeteer patent from the 1930s, granted to the Daisy airgun genius, Charles "Fred" Lefever. It shows the 188 in detail as well as describes the inner workings in detail. The patent text is here: https://patents.google.com/patent/US2132173?oq=air+gun+patent:2132173+intitle:air+intitle:gun+ininventor:Lefever
<p ="msonormal"=""><span lang="EN" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;mso-ansi-:EN"><o:p></o:p></span>

<span ="nospacingchar"="">
</span>
<span ="nospacingchar"="">
</span>

That is a sweet looking gun. Taking the rivet out may not be too injourous to the finish if you can accurately drill out the center on the head, but inserting a new one might do more damage. Even if you try to make one out of a soft steel nail. Even so, the new one could look much worse than any benefit of improving the performance a little. Depending on the diameter, a post bolt may look less "rigged".

Nice little collectible though. Congrats.

Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

I just received a nice little 177 Target Special, it has a sort of grayish metallic finish and an "OIL HERE" hole indicating it has rubber seals. It's shooting steel BBs about 120 fps so is probably doing about par for the course. I was going to reseal it anyway but found that to take it apart will require removing the head of a rivet ("M" on drawing and in text) that runs through the frame and holds the slide on the gun. I'm probably going to leave it alone because it looks like it would be VERY easy to damage the finish- and the finish is very good on this gun. The grips only have a little warpage, less than what I've seen on many others. And it has a "flip sight" sort of like  the one used on some No. 25s.

That is a sweet looking gun. Taking the rivet out may not be too injourous to the finish if you can accurately drill out the center on the head, but inserting a new one might do more damage. Even if you try to make one out of a soft steel nail. Even so, the new one could look much worse than any benefit of improving the performance a little. Depending on the diameter, a post bolt may look less "rigged".
Nice little collectible though. Congrats.

Thanks, I will make note of that info for when I find a "beater-class" model 177 to work on!

I have decided to list this one for sale. It's just too nice to risk hurting the finish. And it's not like it needs resealed- I just wanted to tinker!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic