Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Those darned 200s!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those darned 200s!
    Posted: June-03-2020 at 4:22pm
I guess this is just a b&m post ;)  I started putting together a blog post comparing 3 semi bb guns: the Daisy 200, Crosman 454, and Crosman 677.  They're roughly contemporaries, and 3 of the guns we like to "grab and go" if we're going out for a plinking enabled walk.  

The 454 is actually a double action trigger, so it kind of only loosely qualified.  But, it was hard to argue with that big magazine!  And if you did your part, you could find the spot in the trigger where the "double" part was done, and the trigger about to break.  The grip isn't great, but it is ambidextrous, a claim neither of the other two can make.  It has a reasonable shot count per co2, too.  All around, a pretty good gun.

The 677 is a really cool, true semi, based on the 600 action.  I think it is actually about 4 parts different from the 600.  So that means it feels good in the hand with a really nice grip, is powerful, and has a really nice trigger.  The biggest complaint is how top heavy it feels!  As long as you're aiming horizontally, you don't really notice too much, but at any angle, wow does that top heaviness show.  And, it is a gas hog.

So the 200.. it is smaller than the other two, lighter, with a very comfortable grip.  It is at least as accurate as the 454, with a trigger that works more "for" you than against you.  Its small magazine can be persnickety, and is a third the capacity of the others.  But when it works, it is just fine.  How many bbs do you really need to blast rapidly before a mag reload.  And the shot count per co2 is at least in line with the 454, if not a touch higher.  In short, it's the favorite!

AND THEN IT BROKE!  (lol)  Maybe I didn't oil the elevator enough or something, but it went from a paragon of reliability and usability to spitting and farting co2 all over the place.. out the barrel, out the elevator, about the only place it wasn't spitting was the cart neck seal!  Argh!  Oiling the elevator did nothing to fix the situation.  Sooooo, I guess it is time to tear it apart, and hope I find and fix the issue, without breaking or losing anything.  Right about the time you fall in love again, it barfs all over you.  :)  

Didn't one of you write about having too many working 200s?  Talk about having a love / hate relationship with an airgun.  When they work, they're great!  But that seems to be the exception condition, not the rule.

Anyway, hope y'all have a great day!  May your favorite guns keep on working for ya! ;) 

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 5:11pm

I got a Daisy model 93 in a small gun lot and figured it was just parts box fodder, but I use it WAY more than any of my other CO2 pistols. It's butt ugly, and the grip is as large as a double stack pistol, and it was missing the left hand grip but I used a rubber grip half from a model 1911 .45 held on with a thick rubber band. But it is the picture of reliability. It holds CO2 for literally months w/o leaking down. It does have a heavy 2 stage trigger, but like the trigger you described, you can bring it against the wall right before it breaks and it's not bad. Seals are even still available for it.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 6:31pm
CO2 guns are not really my favorite ones but I do like my Daisy model 11. Better yet is my Remington 1911RAC.   Best authentic feel, blow back, weight etc. Gas hogs? sure but great little trainers. I have a Winchester that uses 2CO2s simultaneously.   Good power but have already replaced the gas seat assembly. Guess it's my own fault for leaving charged caplets in too long.

Plink at will!
Air-It-Is
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 3:16pm
I had a little eureka when it came time to work on this 200.  Most folks report that a problem was in the valve area.  Second tends to be the elevator.  To get the whole action out of the top involves messing with that dreaded elevator spring.  The eureka was that you really don't have to remove the action from the top plate to clean out and service the valve!  

Once you remove the lower, a socket can be used to remove the valve end cap with the action still in place.  I found it helped if I nudged the action back a little, but that was it.  I fished the valve components out with a long q-tip, cleaned everything up, and put it back together.  I found it was much better, but still not right.  So, I did the process again.  After that, it ran like a champ!  And best of all, I never had to wrestle that elevator spring.  Just thought I'd mention this in case someone else winds up in the same predicament.

Have a great one!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic