Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

model 499 peep sight compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Oldgeorge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: model 499 peep sight compatibility
    Posted: April-01-2023 at 3:20pm
I make the Plate that go under the 5899 peep sight I am going install it on model 95 .you have cut top of the stock down a little right behind top stock screw . Oldgeorge
teerex.otw View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 12:16am
Yeah, that’s an odd one alright.
The only models I’m aware of that used that style sight are the 99, 299, and early 499.
So I only see 3 possibilities:
A misprint.
A model Daisy designed but never put into production.
Something Daisy built for someone else (Sears, Western Auto, etc.)

Probably never know….
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 9:14pm
Since I don't know of a model 1498, I emailed Joe Murfin. His reply: "Mark : I'm stumped.  I just don't know.  Joe."

I'd say it was a carton or call number for a model 98, but that falls apart because the early 98 that used the rear peep/vee flip sight has a sight mounting pad with a ducktail that would have been in the way (the example below is missing the flip sight). The later 98s used a forward-mounted open sight 

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 8:11pm
The man is an artist, there’s no denying ! … The one on his long rifle is pretty impressive as well. Fantastic job !
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 10:11am
Here's one Terry Cowger made for his 95 over at the High Road thread:

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 4:03am
Ok…It’s possible to adapt a new style sight to the old style mount, I just did it to my 99. The system I came up with consists of 3 pieces, and may end up being 4-pieces. consists of a saddle-like spacer, a narrower mount that goes on top, and a .075” longer screw. Also had to cut a notch in the top of the stock and level the top of the old base.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 8:08pm
Mark,
I was just reading over the instructions and saw reference to a model 1498…can’t find anything on it.
Ever seen one, or have any idea what it is (was) ?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 8:00pm
Haven’t seen this before (but with Daisy seems like I’m seeing something new every day !) Probably didn’t make very many, or offer for very long.
At one time I considered adapting a Mossberg S-130 sight to a Ryder, but the sight cost over 3 times what I paid for the gun !
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 7:02pm
They made an adapter to mount a Williams peep sight but good luck finding one- I've seen just this one.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 5:54pm
I also dug out the 499b manual. While it shows both types of sight bases and has instructions for removing the old-style sight, it makes no mention of how the new sight is supposed to be installed on an old base, and doesn’t say anything about any kind of adapter…This is intriguing, as I would much prefer the new-style on my 99. This may be the basis of yet another experiment (and possibly a future post).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic