Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best leather for making seals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best leather for making seals?
    Posted: September-12-2017 at 4:14pm
I did a few inquiries on my own and got some good information from a leather supplier at BRETTUNS VILLAGE...they suggest a Vegetable tanned leather with no extra oils in it of 12 oz, weight...I was told to try Tandy Leather or Weaver Leather for this special 12-ounce size.....PHIL
RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 11:03am
Yes it is.
Be Independent!
pmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 8:54pm
Is this SADDLE LEATHER vegetable tanned?....PHIL
RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 7:29pm
I use leather scraps from a saddle maker and it works great.
Be Independent!
pmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 7:04pm
I was wondering if it would be possible to glue two pieces together to get the proper thickness....people have said that a 13/16" inch would be best but I`m still asking questions....PHIL
almyjmoore View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 6:41pm
I don't know how they are tanned but I use belts. The thicker belts are made of tough leather that is fairly stiff. You don't want a soft, real flexible leather. I make my leathers about 3/16" thick and I have used Shoe Goop to glue two pieces together in order to get to the proper thickness.
pmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 5:43pm
I have to make some seals for several old Daisys I have and was wondering what type of leather is best suited for this project....There are several varieties available like Vegetable tanned...Chrome tanned...Finished leathers with a waxy finish....Right now I assume the vegetable tanned leathers in 10 to 12- ounce weight would be the best to use...Any comments?.....PHIL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic