FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1961 DAISY MODEL 97 BB GUN RICOCHET SOUND RARE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1961 DAISY MODEL 97 BB GUN RICOCHET SOUND RARE
    Posted: March-15-2020 at 5:33pm

Thanks Rick I'll try that first. I have a feeling the abutment washer is stuck to the plunger head as it makes a "clack" sound when fired but it's hard to tell over the ricochet noise. So if that's the case I'll end up removing the plunger assembly and see what's going on.
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 2:38pm
I would try to oil it first before taking it apart.
I believe these were all made with the rubber style seals which take a set over time.
I had one with the same issue that was cleared after oiling it a couple of times over a few days time.
Oil it good from the oil hole and the barrel and leave it in the cocked position overnight and exercise it a few times and re-oil and let it set.
This worked for me.
Hope it all works out for you.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 11:56am

Hi all hope everyone is in good health. Just picked up a model 97 in pretty nice shape with a strong ricochet sound but shoots a bb very weakly. I am going to check the condition of the plunger washer and barrel seal but would would like to know if there are any special steps because of the ricochet mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Dannop2 Dannop2 wrote:

Hi Mark , the lever just slips in the plunger spring , you have to time it by the number of coils so that it will hit he drum and spin but not so much that it drags too much  , not he most fun gun to work on but man if you can do a 1894 ...you will have no problem , the lever will go in and seat inside the coils , I hope this is helpful  and that I am expanding myself well , if not , shoot me an email and we will talk it over .
I understand now. Less complex than what my imagination had come up with- and that's the beauty of these guns. Simple but VERY well thought out.

Originally posted by jackdog jackdog wrote:

For what its worth.....Here are the Daisy Instructions for the "bullet whine" mech.  You guys may already have this or saw it but I thought it may be useful...  I have the play rifles and the 97 and they all have the same mech, so it will apply to whatever "bullet whine" Daisy.. Hope it helps in some way and not just taking up posting space...
Again right click on the image in the post and select view image.  You will get a larger picture. click on the picture and you will get a larger version....
Rick
I find that very interesting- thanks, Rick. If you had asked me how to adjust the mechanism before seeing this, I'd have said that the wire or "reed" needed to be tweaked. So it's a good thing I never tried to adjust one!

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 10:58pm
For what its worth.....Here are the Daisy Instructions for the "bullet whine" mech.  You guys may already have this or saw it but I thought it may be useful...  I have the play rifles and the 97 and they all have the same mech, so it will apply to whatever "bullet whine" Daisy.. Hope it helps in some way and not just taking up posting space...
Again right click on the image in the post and select view image.  You will get a larger picture. click on the picture and you will get a larger version....
Rick

Aim Straight
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 5:13pm
Hi Mark , the lever just slips in the plunger spring , you have to time it by the number of coils so that it will hit he drum and spin but not so much that it drags too much  , not he most fun gun to work on but man if you can do a 1894 ...you will have no problem , the lever will go in and seat inside the coils , I hope this is helpful  and that I am expanding myself well , if not , shoot me an email and we will talk it over .
Realshooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 5:09pm
I'm hoping you can fill me in on the lever that spins the toothed drum- how is it attached to the gun, how does the spring (I'm guessing t's the spring) interacts with the lever, or anything else that might help me get my head around how it works. I have a few photos but none shows the lever clearly. I even had a ricochet gun here for repairs, I should have taken a peek then, but I didn't think to. *facepalm*
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 11:38am
You bet .
Realshooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 11:38pm
I will make a note of that ricochet mechanism info- thanks!!
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 12:34pm
Pretty rifle Mark , shoot , I am getting close to needing a scope or dot for about any shooting  outside of my well lit  shop , yes anytime you get a 97 or like gun not sounding all that great make sure that the lever that spins the drum is : long enough as they can get a pretty good bend in them , no heavy grease or oil on the parts , small clear disc is not broken and that the small wire is hitting the drum and resting on the disc , oh and grease built up on the underside of the forearm will muffle some of the sound too . after seeing your improved 96 I may have to rescue an old 99 that is in very poor condition , shoots perfect but man is it ugly LOL .  
Realshooter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic