FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 25 leather re-seal question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 25 leather re-seal question
    Posted: June-01-2022 at 8:01pm
This is off topic, but I wanted to add to Jay's cool factory photos above. The photos are from here: https://mmm.lib.msu.edu/results.php?search=Daisy+Manufacturing+Company

Possibly cutting out the frame blanks from sheet metal

Forming frames from flat stampings

Possibly making internal frame structures

Looks like testing stock strength

QC

Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2022 at 9:43pm
I don't think the original air tube was soldered onto the 'cap' because in the patent drawing the air tube is flared on the cap end, so the cap-and-air tube assembly was probably machine-pressed together and then crimped onto the body for final use. When I mentioned soldering I meant as a possible repair.
As far as a replacement for the tube (or the whole assembled part) , I think only a salvaged part from another Daisy would be found. Good luck.
Kenjo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenjo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2022 at 5:53pm
heck i didn't know it was soldered on, can a tube be found for this type?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2022 at 8:19pm
Hello Kenjo7. For this post I had an old air tube assembly already missing its air tube, so I just put the base into a vise and used a screwdriver to back the crimps off enough for removal. The cap's metal crimps  had enough integrity as to not 'snap off' when straightened out. Once off I did not think another air tube could be soldered on--but more nimble members out there might think otherwise.
Kenjo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenjo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2022 at 12:24pm
gunslinger any help on best way to pry the crimps apart to get air tube off   
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2022 at 9:22pm

I wish I could insert this info a few pages back, but I’ll settle for tacking it on here. I stumbled across some more information on what we were calling the “capped” style of air tube.

This style was designed in 1938, and patented (2,204,372) in 1940. These 1950 pictures show the three Daisy air tube assembly stations. (My wife believes they could have splurged on more comfortable seats for the ladies!)

It would appear the shafts of the air tubes, and the caps, were pre-assembled together before reaching this point, and from here these ladies would position the body of the air tube on the cap for the final crimping action, making the assembly complete. Hopefully the more shop-minded among us can explain what is going on here, as I may be totally wrong in what I am looking at.

The last step would have been the slipping on the leather seal and the back-up steel washer.

It wasn’t many years after this picture was taken that the air tube evolved into the neoprene washer era and an entirely new air tube design began.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 10:19pm
I was a bit surprised as well, but in this first Variant the shot tube itself is a brass pipe. The shot tube cap is steel, as is the magazine (soldered together into one unit), but I think the brass-on-brass contact between air tube and shot tube when firing was better for wear. I have two photos in my files which show what I believe were brass air tubes, so I was ready for anything. 

The first photo is an air tube from a Markham 2236, and the second photo is from Dave Alpert's photo collage. The third photo is the brass & steel shot tube.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 7:14am
Thanks for the update- I didn't know any of them used a brass air tube!
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2020 at 4:42pm
Great pictures and information, i'm sure this is well appreciated!

Ejwills.
Ejwills
Yatzee982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatzee982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2020 at 12:51pm
Great info here, thank you !! It should help me get a leather seal red ryder going again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic