FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

daisy 25 compression chamber joint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: daisy 25 compression chamber joint
    Posted: November-20-2020 at 3:52pm
Good job!
LRJ69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRJ69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2020 at 10:30am
cobalt327 I have three Daisy's that the seam in the air chamber is split  1 model 1894 & 2 model 25 I have NO idea what caused the split, I purchased these on line. I repaired the model 1894 by tapping the bulge back into place and resealing the seam with JB weld. I then honed the chamber with a brake cylinder hone. The 1894 shoots but I have NO idea what fps is. It will shoot through two layers of heavy corrugated cardboard at 15 ft.
LRJ69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRJ69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2020 at 10:17am
Good Morning  This outerbarrel is from the 30's or 40's that uses the leather seals. It is a parts gun I found on Gunbroker. I bought it to replace the outerbarrel on another 25 that uses leather seals that has the same problem(bulge in the seam at the abutment washer). I fixed it by tapping it back into place using a 14mm socket inside the barrel. I welded the seam together with my Harbor Freight welder, but my welding skills are not that great. I burnt a couple of holes through the barrel which I filled in. I smoothed down the weld that came through the barrel and resealed with leather seals. It shoots strong but I do not have a chronograph to measure fps. The compression chamber stills leaks, so I am trying to find out how to repair the seam if possible  Thanks for your reply & help   
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2020 at 10:00am
Since the edit it's clearer what's going on. If the crack extendes from the abutment forward towards the muzzle, the comp. chamber isn't involved and the main problem may just be asthetic. If the split has somehow been caused by the actual comp. chamber expanding so much that it split the seam, well, I'm never one to say forget it, but the repair might not look or work very well- if it's even possible at all. Either way it would be interesting to know what type of abuse caused such a thing.
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2020 at 12:35am
First, I can't image why that butt weld would fail, and why there would be a bulge anywhere. Almost sounds like the result of a detonation of some kind. I am sure that could be repaired, but I doubt the integrity would last (even though a a BB gun compression PSI is not that great). I worry more about the compression chamber I.D., because if it is distorted the seals might not actually 'seal' any longer. Do you know the vintage of this Daisy, or its history--like, why it has a split seam? Is the rest of the gun in good shape?
LRJ69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRJ69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2020 at 11:10pm
Yes Gumslinger the 3-4" butt weld under the outer barrel   This older 25 I acquired the entire 3-4'' butt weld has cracked open & there was a bulge at the abutment washer which I have fixed. Was that seam welded or soldered? Would solder paste work to reseal the joint Thanks for the help   
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2020 at 9:34pm
Or, are you talking about the butt-weld seam found under the outer barrel (3-4" long) and running lengthwise?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2020 at 8:23pm
The steel abutment 'disc' is mounted inside a sleeve and the sleeve is inserted into the outer barrel and is then spot welded to hold it in position. Do you know if the entire sleeve or just the disc has come loose?
LRJ69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRJ69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 10:38pm
Help I need ideas & advice on how to reseal(weld or solder) the compression chamber joint on a older Daisy 25 Thanks for any ideas or advice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic