Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy Model 26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RileyRadial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RileyRadial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy Model 26
    Posted: February-02-2022 at 1:15pm
I finally got the model 26 cocking and firing!! BUT, it has very little power, 85 FPS.  I had pulled the plunger and noticed that the piston seal had two small indentations on the leading edge of seal. Looking at the outer diameter of barrel I saw two punch marks in barrel. I'd say they were put in barrel to hold the inner works from coming out of barrel. These two punch marks lined up perfectly with indentation of leading  edge of piston seal. Once gun was shot, the piston seal rested at this point in barrel and after years or months the seal took a set at it leading edge from these punch marks.  Firing the gun these indentations allowed most of the air being compressed to just leak past piston seal. I don't plan on using the gun but I'm very happy that at least now its working one.
Riley Radial
RileyRadial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RileyRadial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2022 at 10:27am
The only  problem I'm having is removing the gear from the rack and then reinstalling it in rack and in the correct timing position. Anyone know the procedure for doing this?
Riley Radial
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2022 at 9:53pm
Mark, I believe the barrel is also tapered on these two guns, the feed block is very similar to the 1894 and the barrel looks close to the design from the block forward.  They both suffer from abutment seals sticking to the plunger seal and also taking a set on the seal from sitting at the bottom of the taper.  These two guns the model 26 and the model 572 I owned but sold years ago on eBay as a set because they were in very good condition and mechanically sound and shot good, one shot stronger than the other.  I figured if someone was looking for one or both this would be a good set that would cover both models.  The model 26 was from 1964 to 1966 and the model 572 was from 1967 to 1971.  I had read that Daisy tried to beef it up with a change in material or something to correct the failure of the cocking mechanism, but I believe it also didn't hold up.  The elevators for the rear sights are similar but not sure if they are the correct ones for these models.  I thought they were a good concept of the style pump, but it didn't work out.  A few people said don't shoot them too much, just look at them because no parts are available.

Keep On Plinking
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 3:07pm
From what I remember the biggest problem with the 26 was when it would not cock because a part would break and it was not repairable as the part was not available and could not be repaired. I had one that worked and looked great but was scared to cock it and break it. These are rare to find that work
Stevec
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 11:10am
Rick, my friend seems to have sorted his problems out, so please hold off on sending your dear wife down to get it. You have always been a monumental help to me and this community as a whole, and I just hope you're back in top shape very soon!!

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2022 at 10:41pm
Thumbs Up  OK mark.  will try to get my wife over the weekend and have her go down and retrieve the 26 so i can look at  if your friend does not make any progress, on his issue.  maybe i can figure it out quickly.  the main thing i guess he needs to get to the power plant? plunger? right?  of all the spittin image guns this was the most disappointing model and the worst performer.
rick
Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2022 at 7:33pm
Thank you, Rick. I'll pass that along and in the meantime, you take care of yourself!

Mark
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2022 at 6:08pm
mark.. wish i could help, but can not at the moment.  cannot recall exactly what i did about 15 years ago to tear down my 26.  would like to get down to my man cave to look at the 26 and jog my memory but cant make it there.  i did not find it all that complicated as i recall.  forearm comes off with a few screws , then the loading tube, and gear stuff.  plunger like normal. i vaguely recall the larger screw on forward part of receiver cover acted like the large screw on the 25,  and allowed the barrel to be pulled apart from receiver.  i think.   best i can do at moment..
rick
Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2022 at 7:02pm
A friend has a model 26 that has stopped shooting. He wants to get inside of it, but wasn't sure about removing the forearm assembly. Rick, can you or Ken (or someone who has done this) remember anything about disassembling the gear train or even "just" removing the forearm assembly that might help him?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 2:54pm
This discussion prompted me to finally get around to resealing an older Daisy 880 that uses the expensive cup seal. I did the reseal using a cup seal that came from a gun that would not pump at all. I have been soaking it in stop-leak for, well, probably 2 years by now. Bottom line is the gun shoots as good as new, so the stop-leak can work. I should mention the cup seal is much thinner than a Daisy rubber piston. If a piston was soaked long enough it might work, but stop-leak is probably better for thinner seals like a cup as opposed to a piston.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic