Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Red Ryder Air tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Red Ryder Air tube
    Posted: January-30-2018 at 4:39pm
Hi,

I have several vintage Red Ryder spring/air tube assemblies with loose air tubes.

Has anyone found an easy method to tighten the air tubes? Will they still work effectively if they are a little loose, or will they leak air?

Do they have to be soldered or is there an easier method?

Could I possibly use a little crazy glue, being careful not to plug the air vents?

Thank you in advance for ant help or suggestions you may have.

Regards, gkenny.
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 7:02pm
I have several of the tubes in parts from and for my vintage red ryders.
Most of those have some movement just not a lot.
I have repaired or tightened them up on some I have repaired in the past by using a Snap On small spring loaded punch to stake the tube to the flange.  The ones I have are all swaged to the tube and staking it in 4 or 5 spots equally around the tube tightens them up.  It does not make them solid which I am not sure if they should be anyway.
Even with them being a little loose I am not sure much air can escape and it allows them to follow their guide through the throat without to much drag. 
The ones I have repaired still shoot well as I try to make all my Daisy's shoot and all are loaded and ready to go.
Hope this helps and good luck with your repairs.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Rick Cates Rick Cates wrote:

I have several of the tubes in parts from and for my vintage red ryders.
Most of those have some movement just not a lot.
I have repaired or tightened them up on some I have repaired in the past by using a Snap On small spring loaded punch to stake the tube to the flange.  The ones I have are all swaged to the tube and staking it in 4 or 5 spots equally around the tube tightens them up.  It does not make them solid which I am not sure if they should be anyway.
Even with them being a little loose I am not sure much air can escape and it allows them to follow their guide through the throat without to much drag. 
The ones I have repaired still shoot well as I try to make all my Daisy's shoot and all are loaded and ready to go.
Hope this helps and good luck with your repairs.
Rick in TX

Hi Rick, Thank you very much! That sounds like a perfect fix and I can't wait to try it tomorrow!

Thanks again and regards, gkenny.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 9:17pm
Hi Rick, Thank you very much! That sounds like a perfect fix and I can't wait to try it tomorrow!

[/QUOTE]

After you make the repairs please post here and let us know how it worked out for you.
I have more of the old Red Ryders than I need or so the wife tells me but I really like the old ones.
More info is always a good thing when working on the old Daisy's we all love.
Thanks,
Rick in TX
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 1:00am

After you make the repairs please post here and let us know how it worked out for you.
I have more of the old Red Ryders than I need or so the wife tells me but I really like the old ones.
Thanks,
Rick in TX
[/QUOTE]

I would be honored to let you know, regards, gkenny.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 4:14pm

Thanks,
Rick in TX
[/QUOTE]

Hi Rick,

I just used my spring center punch around my loose air tubes as you suggested and it worked like magic!

Thank you for such a great solution!

Regards, gkenny.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 9:21pm
[Hi Rick,

I just used my spring center punch around my loose air tubes as you suggested and it worked like magic!

Thank you for such a great solution!

Regards, gkenny.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update and glad it worked well for you also.
I have not found any new (old Daisy's) recently to repair.
Old ones in my part of the country are hard to come by.
I really do like the old ones and enjoy working on them when it is to cold outside.
I have more than I need but I still can not pass up an old one no matter what shape it is in.
Thanks for the feedback.
Rick in TX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic