Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VL Caseless rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VL Caseless rifles
    Posted: January-14-2005 at 2:07pm
Can anyone tell me how a VL 22 fires the round and what material the gun powder is made from?
bilbo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2005 at 5:45am
A PUFF OF HOT AIR IGNIGHTS THE PROPELLANT ATTACHED TO THE BULLET.
bilbo
plevesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plevesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2005 at 1:32pm

The VL has a spring-powered piston similar to a standard air rifle.  When the trigger is pulled the compressed spring forces the piston forward, squeezing the air into a smaller volume.  When a gas is rapidly compressed it heats up - to about 1100F in the case of the VL, according to Daisy literature.  This hot air is directed on to the base of the caseless round where it ignites a primer charge that in turn ignites the main powder charge.

On another note...  I'm still looking for owners of Collector models with serial numbers above 1000 so we can determine how many were made.  Some Daisy documents claim only 1000, but apparently Daisy intended to produce more and didn't keep track of the actual production.  I own one that has 1100+ serial number so they made at least this many.  Anyone with info, please contact me. 

I'm also looking for VL articles, ads, and paperwork, as well as Collector rifles/ kits. 

Paul

Edited by plevesque
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic