Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was the 1894 a good "shooter"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was the 1894 a good "shooter"?
    Posted: May-12-2019 at 6:00pm
Greetings!

I noticed in another thread it was mentioned that the 1894 wasn't really a good shooting gun.  I would not disagree, with the caveat that "if it was held as you'd think it should be", with your off hand up on the barrel grip.

I thought it would be fun to share something I figured out about that gun, though.  If you move your off hand to cradle the trigger guard, the groups dramatically shrink.  I figured this out trial and error, after reading some of Tom Gaylord's blogs on spring guns being hold sensitive.  

Here's a picture of a shooting session I did to illustrate what I found.   

These were 10 shot groups, probably right about 10 feet.  I used a box stock new 25, a box stock new Red Ryder, and my 1894 Buffalo Bill.  As you can see the 25 did the best, but not much better than the RR.  The 1894 held by the barrel grip was horrible compared to those two.  But when I switched to the other hold, it became very competitive. 

If any of you actually shoot your 1894s, is recommend trying this alternative hold.  And, I'd love to hear back from any of you if you do actually try it, if your results are the same.

Happy shooting!

BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2019 at 8:44pm
Those are really nice groups.  I have an 1894 that I just refurbed with new seals.  I am having some feed issues, but can't wait to shoot it as soon as I get those solved.
Be Prepared
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2019 at 7:46pm
Good advice to try different holds. One example is when I shoot the 1938B standing, I get good results from resting the bottom of the gun on my hand w/o gripping it w/my hand way back near the lever pivot. Then I can sore of tuck my elbow against my body to steady everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic