Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is paying these crazy prices?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is paying these crazy prices?
    Posted: November-20-2019 at 1:06pm
Who is paying these crazy prices for Daisy Double Barrel BB guns?

Is between $915 and $1,250, a crazy price to pay of a vintage airgun that doesn't really shoot all that well and has velocity less than 300 fps? I mean, it is old, but not that old, say like the original windmill Daisy with the wire stock.

If there is such a big demand why isn't Daisy bringing out new models of this airgun to meet it?

This price for a Daisy Texas Ranger set is also high in my opinion, but at least you get 3 very rare models in mint shape.

I really think Daisy is missing the boat on fulfilling the customer demand. Just putting a bigger stock on the Red Ryder is NOT enough.
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 5:17pm
I was watching the Model 21 Double Barrel with box very closely.  I have a nicer Model 21 Double Barrel with the lighter colored stock and forearm.  As I understand it, the lighter colored stock is reinforced, therefore, less likely to break like I have seen on the darker colored stocks.  I also have the Model 21 box that is original to the gun, however, it is not in as nice of condition as the one that sold.  There are some issue with the end flaps.  The one on eBay sold for $1,250 which surprised me.  I would certainly be happy with that amount for mine! LOL

Star
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 5:33pm
All the rifles mentioned are rare and not that easy to find. Welcome to the word of collecting Daisy stuff. Yeah, people pay those prices and even more for the real old stuff. A new model is not the same as an old one.Don't think Daisy is missing the boat as it is a business and what sells is the newer stuff to the younger folks
Stevec
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 7:12pm
Those are definitely some crazy prices.  Hopefully, the buyers and sellers are both pleased with them.
Be Prepared
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 8:33pm
Steve, newer models may not be the same as the vintage guns, but if you "Build a better mousetrap, ... the world will beat a path to your door".

The flood of modern replica western airguns, proves there is a demand. The fact that a number of people were willing to bid in excess of $500 for double barreled BB guns, tells me there is a market.

The question is who will fill it, or why isn't it being filled.

The kids that bought these airguns in the past, are now grown up and have the disposable cash to relive their youth. Not all of them are handy at fixing vintage airguns. So some are going to want to just go to a store and buy a new version, that has a warranty & does not cost $1,000 in an auction.

I would bet (and understand from talking to the guys behind the airgun counter at Cabela's) that the % of adults that are buying the Umarex Colt CO2 Peacemakers and Legends Cowboy Lever Action 1894 Winchester styled BB rifles and similar, is much higher now than the customers that were buying Daisy 1894's, 179's & Crosman 44's in the 1960's.  

And remember, Daisy did just come out with an Adult Red Ryder.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2019 at 2:14pm
People are drawn to things they liked but were out of reach at the time they were new. Collectors are naturally drawn to the rare varieties of what they collect. The Daisy double guns fits both profiles. These things will always draw a lot of attention, and with that comes high bidding.
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2019 at 5:33pm
Gerald, I think you are missing my point. A new version is not the same as an old original one and that is where the prices come in for the older models. They want exactly what they had or what the didn't have in their youth,not some reproduction. Again, what sells the most to these bb gun company's, the newer stuff to younger people and I understand that. It is like music, the younger ones buy, not the older ones. The older ones buy once in a while so their is a small market there. Would I buy a new double barrel. No,Why, ok looks good but no history. That is collecting. A new Red Ryder with an adult stock is not an original Red Ryder. Only one that is going to buy it is a YOUNGER buyer- collector. The younger ones are looking for performance and accuracy out of their stuff which is ok but remember these things were not made for that back then. They were almost considered toys
Stevec
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 5:34pm
Cobalt is dead on with his post. Look at it this way. Would you rather have a 111-40 Red Ryder or a 1938b Red Ryder. The 1938b was newer and improved version of the 111-40
Stevec
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 6:19pm
Both Steve and Cobalt have a good point regarding collecting. I had only two newer guns [not new but not old] a 1938  and an early 1938 B] My collection [sold off] consisted of  older models of Red Ryder's and Model 25's and a few  commemorative models  like the NRA set and some pistols. I also collected older pellet guns like early Crosman's Benjamin's, Kessler's  Sherdan's and some older different brands  like B.S.F- Diana, etc. [sold off].  I bought what I liked and never looked at collecting as any thing but a  hobby, never a money maker, which for the most part it isn't. 
Ejwills.
Ejwills
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 10:28am
Gentlemen, there are all types of people and collectors.  Some are "purists" who insist on absolute adherence to traditional styles and originality.  They want the old, original guns that are as pristine as possible and hopefully have all the accoutrements likes boxes, pamphlets etc that came with them.  Then you may have the collectors that want the latest and greatest that they can get their hands on.  You also have those that want to modify their guns to look different, shoot harder or whatever floats their boat.  Some buy the guns only to display and never shoot them.  Others want to use theirs every chance they get.  The take away is there is no right or wrong with any of the above.  We all can agree that a particular gun is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  Some have more disposable income than others and that's ok.  At the end of the day, it is just whatever makes you happy and the joy one receives from this wonderful hobby.  Have a Great Day!
Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic