Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wide frame"Pop Gun"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 9:24pm
I plan on going back and giving the gun a good second look.....with a magnifying glass. I'll try to get more information this week. Maybe take a few pictures. Stay tuned.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 9:57pm
So the 499 shot tube isn't like what you saw?
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 8:43am
Do all of the pop guns have the 'bolt or rivet' through the end of the barrel to prevent putting a shot tube in it.
Not sure what they do on the new ones.
Gary
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 12:10pm
Older pop guns usually have the rivet through the end of the barrel. Newer ones have the legally required orange plug in the end. I have one with a gold plug also.

The one I saw had a hand written tag that said it was a pop gun but that could be an error on the part of the seller. The shot tube I saw did look similar to the picture of the 499 but not exactly. If it turns out to be a single shot target gun I'll be sad because that means the rear sight was broken off. On the other hand, that might bring it down into my price range.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 6:21pm
That it has a removable shot tube tells us it's not a pop gun, although it might be incapable of doing much more than popping (like if the air tube's broken off, a common occurrence w/the older guns). Old single shot guns like the Number 12 Model 29 (shown below) and Model H didn't have a threaded shot tube, they used spring pressure to hold the tube in place sealed w/a leather seal.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 8:19pm
Well, Everything I first saw about this gun confused me. I did go back and give it a good going over. Turns out when I said it had a gold color (I was a bit wrong. It was more silvery) I found it had been painted. The added paint filled in any etchings on the barrel. The shot tube WAS different looking. It was filled with dirt and a spider cocoon. The broken rear sight was not broken at all. It was a bracket for a rear sight....again painted over. The threads were still in there and in tact.

I was fairly sure the heavy plastic furniture was common to an early model 499. I took a chance and bought it. At home I stripped away some paint and found it IS a 499! I cleaned out the tube and it fires smoothly. :-) I always wanted one of these target guns. All I need to do now is locate a rear sight assembly. Mystery Solved!

In case anyone can analyze the lot # it is C700583
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:13pm
Your gun is March, 1977.  I know of only one other example of a plastic stocked 499, it dates from 1978- both are years before the 'official' 1980 introduction date. Since then I've seen the Model 499 intro date as early as 1976. Your gun should have a metal lever and no slider safety on the right side of the receiver, like the newer wood 499s have. There should be a spot welded bracket on the top rear to mount the peep sight and I believe the front sight should be a globe-type w/removable inserts. Daisy still sells the front sight inserts, spring, collar and washer as well as 2 different types of peep sights that will work w/the front sight.
Does your gun have a cast metal trigger blade or a stamped steel trigger? 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:33pm

Your gun is March, 1977.  I know of only one other example of a plastic stocked 499, it dates from 1978. The 'official' 1980 introduction date was for the 499A, your gun predates the 499A and 499B guns. I've seen the Model 499 (no A or B) intro date as early as 1976.

Your gun should have a metal lever and no slider safety on the right side of the receiver, like the newer wood 499s have. There should be a spot welded bracket on the top rear to mount the peep sight and I believe the front sight should be a globe-type w/removable inserts. Daisy still sells the front sight inserts, spring, collar and washer as well as 2 different types of peep sights that will work w/the front sight.

Does your gun have a cast metal trigger blade or a stamped steel trigger?
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 6:40am
Cobalt, you are spot-on!! My gun is just as you describe. The trigger is cast and in an assembly, no safety. The funnel of the shot tube is slightly different from the picture in this thread. Must have been redesigned for the 1980 gun's introduction. Front sight is interchangeable, but I only have one insert. The metal cocking lever is black and has a white insert.

Thanks to all for helping to solve this "POP GUN" puzzle. Hahahaha
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2018 at 10:30am
I got the 499 stripped, cleaned, painted and reassembled. It shoots and I could not be more thrilled with it.

Cobalt, I took your suggestion of using a satin paint. Good advise! Did you get the pictures I sent to you?

To finish this off, does anyone have a rear peep-sight (either micrometer or slide) that might be lying around and no longer needed. I know I could contact Daisy for a new on but an old one may be more in keeping with the theme of this old gem. Even Mrs. Airitis thinks this is a great find.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic